Jayhawks on the Job
Jayhawks on the Job is an event sponsored by the School of Business that allows students to "shadow" a business professional during the course of a workday. Access the student registration form.
Jayhawks on the Job 2014 will be held during the month of March. Once matched, the host and student(s) will decide on a job-shadow date in the month of March that will accommodate both parties.
What are the objectives?
- To provide students with a focused experience that enhances their understanding of a particular field and the business world.
- To provide an opportunity for students to learn more about themselves and refine their career goals.
- To provide an opportunity for students to network with business professionals.
- To provide an opportunity for the business community to interact with KU Business students.
How does it work?
- Students indicate their field or fields of interest (e.g. marketing, human resources, tax, investments, information systems, etc.).
- Business professionals are recruited from the Kansas City and surrounding areas including Topeka, and Ottawa.
- Students are matched with business participants based on field of interest.
- Students accompany business hosts throughout a normal workday afternoon. Business participants are encouraged to involve students in as many activities as possible.
- Transportation will need to be provided to the job shadow site by the student. Job sites will be located within 50 miles of Lawrence including the Kansas City area, Topeka, and Ottawa. Mileage will be reimbursed to students who submit both a signed host form and a W-9 to the School of Business within 30 days of their job shadow date.
Who are the student participants?
Target: Undergraduate students enrolled in the School of Business.
Who are the business participants?
Target: Working professionals, if possible alumni from the School of Business.
For more information, contact:
For organizations that would like to host larger student groups for tours, rather than one-on-one job shadowing, please contact our office for information on our new "End of Week Excursions" program, which facilitates group student field visits to various organizations.